Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chocolate Guinness Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

Do you ever get an idea in your head and it seems too crazy to be true, then you look it up online and to your surprise you find that there are other people out there just as crazy as you but have actually TRIED the recipe?? Yeah…..Guinness Cake.
I’m not a fan of Guinness but I enjoy tasting it now and then. I’ve never had a full can nor have I ever had a carbomb. (Don’t even try and challenge me)
But one day, while watching the game with a bunch of guys, I took a taste and got the idea of a chocolate Guinness cake. The craving was born and thus began my mission.
There are a few recipes out there but this one just seemed to make more sense to me. Heating up the butter with Guinness and chocolate seemed like the right route to take. Not to mention it smelled like heaven.
We had a house full of people for this recipe so I got a decent amount of feedback. Hands down, this cake is awesome and it turned out exactly as I imagined. I wanted to step it up with my favorite cream cheese icing and I’m glad I did, it was perfect. After tasting it I could taste the potential that a little orange zest or orange extract could go a long way mixed in either the batter or the icing.
Try this one out by making cupcakes next time you have people over. Trust me; people will be talking about it for weeks.
Enjoy!
Chocolate Guinness Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients
Cake
  • 2 cups stout (such as Guinness)
  • 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups sour cream
Icing

  • 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  •  

Preparation


Cake

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line with parchment paper. Butter paper. Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
  • Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.
Icing

  • Using electric mixer, beat 12 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter and vanilla extract in large bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I really want to have some, like right now!

    ReplyDelete