Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fish and Chips with Smoked Chili Cole Slaw

I paired this meal with a cold glass
of yuengling and fish and chip vinegar for dipping. 
Over the years, I have yet to find the perfect pairing of fish and chips. I’ve tried and I’ve tried and always end up disappointed. This crunchy, moist craving hit me the other day so I decided to give it a go. In searching for recipes, I couldn’t find one that I completely agreed with so I threw a few of them together to make my own. 

With my fingers crossed and my apatite growing, used my palate to choose the ingredients for this recipe.
Along with fish and chips I wanted to go above and beyond with a killer cole slaw. I’m a big fan of Bobby Flay and have always been blown away by his recipes so naturally I went to his website to check out what he had to offer. His recipe for smoked chili recipe spoke to me. It was a done deal. 

The majority of the ingredients for the fish and chips were things I had laying around the house, which I absolutely love and look for in a recipe; everything except the beer and fish, of course. In choosing the perfect fish, I wasn’t shy to pick the brain of the fish guy at the market to help me make my decision. I was taught in one of my cooking classes that there are a few key things to become a great cook: 1) Always keep your knife sharp 2) Make friends with the butcher and the fish guys  and 3) always have a backup meal just incase yours doesn’t turn out the way you wanted. (I don’t always follow this one). He and I both decided to go with the Cod this time.

So without further adieu, my fantastic foodie friends, I give you Fish and Chips with Smoked Chili Cole Slaw.

Fish and Chips with Smoked Chili Cole Slaw

Fish & Chips

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups flour
  • 1 tbs. baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tbs. old bay
  • 1 cold stout (Guinness)
  • 1 ½ lb. white fish (Tilapia, Pollock, Cod)
  • Cornstarch
  • 1 ½ cups vegetable oil


Instructions:
  • Mix flour, baking powder, salt and old bay in a large mixing bowl
  • Whisk in beer until the batter is smooth and all the lumps are removed
  • Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  • Dredge the fish in cornstarch then dip in the batter
  • Fry in 350 degree vegetable oil until golden brown


Homemade Chips (French Fries)

Ingredients:
  • 4 Large Russet Potatoes – peeled or unpeeled  
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbs. Old Bay
  • Salt and Pepper to taste


Instructions:
  • Preheat over to 350 degrees
  • Cut potatoes into desired shapes and toss with old bay, salt and pepper
  • Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until it crackles when you throw a drop of water in it
  • Gently fry the potatoes until they are a golden brown
  • Remove the fried potatoes and place on a plate with paper towels to drain.
  • Transfer the potatoes to a greased cookie sheet, spread out evenly, and bake for 15-20 minutes turning half way.



Bobby Flay’s Smoked Chili Cole Slaw

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 2 tsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 medium head green cabbage, finely shredded
  • 2 large carrots, finely shredded
  • 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions:
Combine Mayonnaise, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, lime juice, honey and cumin in large bowl. Season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving.

Now, I’m going to do it again, toot my own horn. BEEP BEEP! This was, by far, the best fish and chips I’ve ever eaten.

** Lesson learned: Make sure you cook the fish long enough, my first batch still had a bit of batter in the middle because I thought they were done when they weren’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment