Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 3 – You Are What You Eat: A Week of Raw Food

Is anyone else tired of this freezing cold yet? All I can think about is a steaming hot bowl of soup. I’m beginning to think this ‘going raw’ thing in the middle of the winter was not the best idea I’ve ever had but I’m going to stick to my promises.

Day 3: Today was not as energetic as yesterday. I did not sleep well so Bushi and I slept through the first alarm and woke by the second. There was no time to do my morning yoga and I was a bit rushed. The walk to the metro in the frigid cold did not help my situation. I was disappointed that I didn’t have time for morning meditation and exercise.

I started off my day with two shots of wheat grass that I bought frozen from my local organic store and a large bowl of fruit. The fruit did not sustain me at all. Coming out from the winter chill to a bowl of cold fruit was not exactly inspirational. I ate as much as I could in my morning rush and starved my way through my morning meetings. 


Lunch came at 1:00 today and I was more than ready for it. Still cold from sitting all day in an office, I was not excited for the leftovers from last night’s dinner, but once I took one bite I remembered why I was doing this. It was just as delicious as I remembered and I was soon stuffing huge bites in my mouth. I took my multi vitamin with lunch today because it seemed more sustainable than a bowl of fruit. That woke me up a little bit and got my blood flowing.

For a mid day snack I ate an oversized organic honey crisp apple and washed it down with a tablespoon of spirulina dissolved in water. For those of you who don’t know, spirulina is it’s a dietary supplement that you can either drink by dissolving in water or take in pill form. It is also part of the macrobiotic diet and it has the highest protein content of any non-meat dietary supplement.

Walking home from the metro this evening was not my idea of a pleasant stroll. My face was literally frozen and I couldn’t feel my toes. Finally reaching my front door, I had never been so excited to be home. I immediately put my sweat pants on and headed to the kitchen. There’s got to be a way that I can eat something semi-warm.

I found this recipe on RawFoodHomeRecipes.Com. If you heat up your food slightly (roughly 70 degrees) it does not cook your food and the vegetables still remain raw and keep all of their nutrients. This soup hit the spot tonight! It was nice and warm but the vegetables were still crisp and raw, the best of both worlds. Enjoy!
 
Raw Vegetable Miso Soup
Ingredients:
Broth
  • 8 cups water
  • a big knob of fresh ginger root, grated
  • 2 tbsp miso (or to taste)
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed


Veggies
  • kale, broken up in small pieces
  • mushrooms, sliced and marinated in a little olive oil and tamari
  • red pepper, cubed
  • green onion, sliced
  • carrot, thinly sliced


Directions:
Bring water to boil in a pot, along with the ginger root, then simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat. Turn heat off and allow broth to cool down a little. In a small bowl, dissolve miso in a 1/4 cup or so of hot broth. Add to the pot, along with garlic and kale. Let sit for 2 or 3 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the serving bowls, placing some of the veggies in each one. Pour miso broth on top and enjoy! Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment