Sunday, December 12, 2010

Listen to your body (You are what you eat): A week of raw food

My whole life, I’ve always listened to my body. I abide by what it craves and always give it what it asks for; whether it be exercise, rest, a type of food, etc. I would like to think that humans as a whole are educated enough to do the same but the western culture shows, by the obesity epidemic and other unhealthy lifestyles, that it is not always as easy as listening to your body.

Lately I have been ignoring my body and it finally put me in my place the other day. Saturday morning I woke at a reasonable hour, ate breakfast and went back to bed…..till 7:00pm. I went to dinner at my friends’ house, ate take out, became exhausted again and called it an early night. This morning I woke exhausted and completely disappointed in the choices I have been making lately. Between the overindulgence of a free keg at skee ball playoffs this Thursday, a Cosi burrito for dinner followed by a few whiskies on Friday, and spiced apple cider to wash down my Thai food on Saturday. Sunday I was going to start listening again.

My body is craving whole foods at the moment so after some yoga, I spent my morning researching the raw food diet. Research shows that having at least 50% of raw food in your diet considerable increases the amount of overall nutrients that would normally lack in a standard American diet. Cooking your food depletes the nutrients in our food, or what little is left over after what processing and pesticides leave us. Incorporating whole, organic (pesticide free) foods into your diet have been scientifically proven to not only prevent certain diseases and cancer but also cure them.

Reading this material inspired me to give this diet a try and attempt to detox my body from the toxins I’ve put into it the past few weeks. Because I am a young woman, it is important that I’m careful when experimenting when different diets and that I make sure I get the proper nutrients I need for my breast, heart, and bone health. Because of this, I am not going to go completely raw but eat mostly raw foods. Because I love food so much, this will not be a permanent diet change but only for a week. Throughout this week, I will share the recipes I’m using and document my overall health and any changes I’ve noticed. Let the adventure begin!

Day One: 

This evening, I made plans to gather with several friends for take out and good conversation. Because of my new dietary restrictions, I have made my own dinner and will bring it along with me.

Chef’s note: I am not going to suggest serving sizes for some of the recipes. It’s important for every person to determine what portion is best for their body and decide how much to use in order to be fulfilled by the meal.

 Semi-Raw Pizza:

Ingredients:
  • Flat bread crackers
  • Finely Chopped Kale
  • Green and Yellow Peppers cut into cubes
  • Chopped Basil
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Quartered Grape Tomatoes
  • Hummus
  • Nori (seaweed)

Instructions:

Combine kale, peppers, seeds, and tomatoes together in a small bowl. Spread hummus over crackers and top with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle crumbled up nori overtop of the pizza.

Day one….let’s see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment